Curse of the Sphinx Review and Demi Gods and Monsters Blog Tour!

April 29, 2016

Hello Guys!

I am really excited to be taking part in the Demigods and Monsters Blog tour! I am really happy that I had the opportunity to read the first novel in the series by the lovely Raye Wagner, and I am just finishing up this one, so review to come!
Hope you enjoy!





post signature







Title: Demigods and Monsters
Author: Raye Wagner
Genre: YA urban mythology
Blurb: Can Apollo’s curse be broken?
Seventeen-year-old Hope Nicholas is done running. Apollo’s curse has ruled her entire life, limiting her choices and robbing her of the things that matter most. But she refuses to live in fear any longer. In fact, she’s ready to do whatever it takes to break the god’s power over her existence.
When the goddess Artemis instructs Hope to impersonate a demigod and infiltrate a conservatory to get access to the Olympian library, she doesn’t hesitate. As she sees it, there’s nothing left to lose.
But once inside, Hope discovers the only way to get what she needs is to work with her sworn enemies. As the lines between demigod and monster are crossed again and again, Hope has to dig deep for the courage to accept her fate or fight for the freedom to save herself.
Demigods and Monsters is the second book in the Sphinx series.


This is my review of Curse of the Sphinx by Raye Wagner. Once posted, a link to my review of Demigods and Monsters will be available.

Curse of the Sphinx
Rating: 4:25 out of 5 stars


I received this book free for review however that does not affect my opinions in any way shape or form. My review is unbiased and honest.

The Curse of the Sphinx by Raye Wagner is a Greek mythological saga which follows Hope , who alongside her mother and grandmother is born with the curse of the Sphinx, so is part human, part lion and part eagle.

When her mother is taken from her in a tragic turn of events which transpire at the start of the novel, Hope goes from a protected, sheltered Hope must face the idea of being independent and free.

However, the Skia are after her; mythical creatures alongside Hades want her to have s fate like her mothers. Not only Skia, but the gods and Demi-gods too are after her.

Will she find out what happened to her mother or break the curse?

(Sorry for that pretty cheesy synopsis, I honestly couldn't think of much)

I really enjoyed this book. I haven't read much other mythological young adult since I read Percy Jackson and I really enjoyed the plot of this novel.

One thing that bothered me was the fact that I don't think Athan got a fair portrayal. At the start of the novel he is made to be a bit like this Eastern European pervert who Hope for some reason seems attracted to. He is a lot more than that, and that really put me off.

I really liked Hope as a character though. I found that she was 3D and I could understand her emotions really well. I liked other characters too but the main protagonist, Hope, was probably my favourite.

I was also really interested in learning a little more about Priska and Leto's past. The same like really cool characters and I want to see how they turn out. I feel lucky to have the next book so I can share my review with you guys and find out more!

I don't want to share my favourite part of the storyline so as to prevent spoiling you all, but I definitely would recommend this novel to anyone who likes Percy Jackson or Greek mythological novels.

Click Here To See All My Goodreads Reviews!
Raye Wagner grew up in an urban fantasy just outside of Seattle, Washington. As the second of eight children, she was surrounded by monsters, demons, and her sometimes mortal parents. She read heaps of fantasy while locked away in the upstairs room of the family cottage. 
Raye studied the art of medicine long before she had an interest in the Gods on Mount Olympus. 
One sunny afternoon, the history of Apollo’s ancient curse and the myth of the Sphinx dropped into her consciousness, and she’s been scribbling and typing stories in her spare time ever since.
Raye writes young adult fiction for teens and adults.

Author Links:
Buy Links: Curse of the Sphinx (book 1): http://amzn.to/1WgbA7v
Demigods and Monsters (book 2): http://amzn.to/1VF5y1Y
Origin of the Sphinx: (prequel novella): http://amzn.to/245uxfQ

Hope went into the sparse guest room and closed the door behind her. She let out a long, slow exhale and leaned against the door.
“How long have you been at the conservatory?”
Hope yelped. Turning around, she noticed Athan sitting on the edge of the bed.
“Sorry.” He was quickly at her side. “I didn’t mean to startle you.”
“Then what the Hades are you doing in my room with the light off?” Hope flicked the light on and glared at him.
“Right.” He took a step back. “Sorry. I wanted to talk to you, and you left abruptly.”
Hope clenched her teeth. “Oh. Well then, it’s all okay. Come on in.” Sarcasm dripped with the words. “What do you need to say?”
Athan frowned. “What’s with the hostility? Did I do something to you?”
She sputtered in her attempt to say anything, but words formed and disappeared before she could get them out. Finally, she said, “I trusted you.” She knew she was being irrational, but all the pent-up emotion erupted, blasting into the air between them. “I don’t even know what to believe anymore.”
Athan reached his hand out to touch her face, but something in her expression made him hesitate before contact. He dropped his hand to his side. “I never lied to you, Hope.”

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for commenting! It genuinely means the world to me and I will try to reply to you.

Pinterest

Instagram