The Perks Of Being A Wallflower- Book Review

February 17, 2015

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Steven Chbosky


I wasn't a huge fan of this book. I enjoyed the book, but it wasn't my favourite novel. I am yet to watch the film though, which I think I will enjoy better than the book.



When the novel starts, we find out the one of Charlie's friends, Michael I think, committed suicide. This has had quite an effect on Charlie, because they were obviously quite close and Charlie hasn't been good at making friends. That is why he is starting the story.
The novel is written in letters, all addressed to this elusive person that even Charlie doesn't know. I think that this was to demonstrate that Charlie just wanted someone in his life who would listen to him. He is a pretty lonely kid.
He is fifteen and starting high school, alone, with no friends. He tells us a couple of stories about being in middle school but the book is set in 1991-92 mainly, while Charlie is a teenager and his first years of being in high school.

As Charlie progresses through high school we see him make friends and his writing ultimately becomes better. His progress can be seen a lot throughout the book as he becomes happier. But OMG WHY DID HE CRY SO MUCH? I have never read a book where the main protagonist cries so often throughout the story. I feel that because he was writing in letters, he just missed out all or a lot of the uneventful days where nothing really happened, but it sort of messes up the book for me that he is continually crying for no good reason. Maybe because in 1991 I wasn't a teenager, it could have been different, but in my head because I see teenagers nowadays, I wouldn't think of them to cry so much.

Some scenes were pretty graphic but I liked that, because they are all real life events, and it is great how Chbosky made his characters go through them.

I wanna go to the Rocky Horror Picture Show though.

I don't hate the book, it just isn't my favourite.

My Overall Rating;



You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Finally someone who didn't care for it either! I actually DNF'd it halfway through! It moved kinda slow for me, I mean nothing was really happening, and because I get bored pretty quickly, I decided to put it down. I had plans to pick it back up, but I doubt I will. A book has to keep my attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I thought I would really like the book, but it just wasn't for me, but I can never DNF books, I feel like once I've started putting in the effort to read it I have to finish, no matter how much I really dislike it. I know what you mean about nothing really happening x

      Delete
    2. I agree! I thought I would really like the book, but it just wasn't for me, but I can never DNF books, I feel like once I've started putting in the effort to read it I have to finish, no matter how much I really dislike it. I know what you mean about nothing really happening x

      Delete
  2. I wasn't a huge fan of the book either. I still have to watch the movie, but my thinking was if I didn't enjoy the book why waste my time on the movie. I don't know. I don't think Chbosky wanted to make this novel an epic or a thriller, but more of a way to spread awareness of the events that occurred in the novel. People do go through these events as a result of something traumatic. Great review!

    Meredith @ A Book Lover's Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so glad that I have found someone with the same opinion as me, I have found so many people loved The Perks of Being A Wallflower, but I didn't really like it :(

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! It genuinely means the world to me and I will try to reply to you.

Pinterest

Instagram