How I Live Now Review

November 30, 2014


How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff


My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I first read this book a while ago (probably a year or two ago) and I really didn't like it. I hadn't read anything by Meg Rosoff before so I had no idea about her writing style at the time, I hadn't seem any reviews and pretty much drove into this book blind because I had only really read the blurb. I didn't like it purely because of the lack of punctuation in it. I didn't do a review but I rated it 2/5 stars.
This week I decided I would reread it after remembering that Ariel Bissett really liked it and read it in Booktube-a-thon 2014 and I had also seen the movie on Netflix during the half term.

So I started to reread the book and it was pretty hard for me. I hated (and still am not a fan of) the whole 'Daisy doesn't punctuate' thing but I ended up getting more into the plot anyways so I ended up not particularly caring about the complete lack in punctuation. Also it was fairly simple to tell the difference between her talking and her writing.

The story POV is Daisy, as 15 year old American girl who has a hatred for her impregnated stepmother Davina. Her father has sent her to the British countryside to live with her Aunt Penn and cousins Osbert, Edmond, Issac and Piper at the worst possible time, for a third world war is the whispers on everyone's lips...
Her Aunt Penn is teaching a conference in Oslo and is unable to get back when war breaks out. People die and are separated and soon Daisy needs to truly fight for what she really wants.

In How I Live Now, our MC Daisy learns so much about life and love and war. She falls for someone society would deem flawed but she cares zilch about that. She is a really careless teenager in some aspects of the novel, but I really like her as a character because she is so headstrong. We see so much character development in her from the beginning and I love that she goes from a regular teenager to such a mature young person.

I also really admire Piper as a character too. At one point she loses almost everything but barely buckles under the pressure. She is really is a very, very special nine year old. She was so strong and encouraging to everyone she met.

Overall, I really liked Rosoff's book because of the river of teenage thoughts that literally seem like they are flowing out of Daisy's brain. I really enjoyed reading about everything that happened in the story but I don't think that I would reread this book again, purely because I have read it twice already and I barely ever re-read books.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for commenting! It genuinely means the world to me and I will try to reply to you.

Pinterest

Instagram